Psychoanalysis, Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy Of Language,Poststructuralism, Psycholinguistics, and 8 more
Of course one can design a restricted environment in which such control and such patterns…can be demonstrated, but there is no reason to suppose that any more is learned about the range of human potentialities by such methods than would be learned by observing humans in prison or an army- or in many a schoolroom.” (Chomsky, 1972:114)
The Crippled Creativity hypothesis
describes the correlation between empty linguistic organism and human malleability.
That is, linguistic creativity may be crippled by the outside sociality and
mental linguistic algorithm may be controlled by social rules.
This interface between psyche and society is called as Y -( psi or psycho-social) property.
These Y/psi-Property reasserts that the being is always in the being-in-the-(social)world as well as being-for-others.
It is a switch over from cognitive psychology to psychoanalysis.
Chomsky: Context free ideal creative speaking subject with zero History
Sed contra: Context-sensitive creative speaking corporeal with history….
(the term creative[in the Chomskyan sense of the term]is kept under erasure because creativity is a presence as well as an absence)
Prof. Noam Chomsky accepted/approved this hypothesis in personal correspondences.
NEOLOGISM: Crippled Creativity, Psi-properties.
- ”The Crippled Creativity- A Brief Theoretical Perspective.” International Journal of Communications. Vol. VIII, No.1-2. (pp.93-103). Delhi. Download (.pdf)
- “A Dialogue on Linguistic Creativity”. Aligarh Journal of Linguistics, Vol. V: No.1, (pp. 72-84). Download (.pdf)
- “Chomsky and Habermas via Nyaya Theory of Debating”. Language Forum. XXIII: 1-2 (pp. 115-123).Delhi. ISSN 0253-9071. Download (.pdf)
- “ভাষাবোধ, ব্যাপক পঙ্গুতা ও লোকনাথের সঙ্গে বিলাপ ”.[Language, Crippled Creativity and Loknath Bhattecharya] Collection of Criticisms of Bangla Novels& stories by Loknath Bhattacharya. Kolkata:Ebang Mushayera. (pp.335-343). R.N. 53193/94. Download (.pdf)
- ““শেষ মহাআখ্যান [Last Meta-Narrative]. proticcer SaHittotOtto. Kolkata :Alochona Chakra (pp.91-151). Download (.pdf)
- 2003, “Creative Cogito and Disturbed Corporeal” Proceedings of the Conference on Language and Cognition. Department of Cognitive Science, Jadavpur University and Department of Philosophy, Bethune College. (pp. 1-41) Download (.pdf)
- “Psi-Properties: Language, Psyche and Society”. Indian Journal of Linguistics. XIX :1-2 (pp .36–46). Kolkata. RN 34809/74 Download (.pdf)
- Crippled Creativity: An Inquiry Into Language, Psyche And Society. Central INSTITUTE of Indian Languages. Ministry of HRD, GOI.
- The Crippled Creativity: Language, Psyche, Society. Seminar in connection with Freud’s 150 years’ birthday celebration. Dept. of Clinical Psychology. University of Calcutta. Download (.ppt)
- “কথার এন্তেকাল” [The End Of Dialogue] Bangla Translation of English Papers related to “Crippled Creativity Hypothesis” http://goo.gl/x2dZBg
NB: The following questions were posed in connection with Chomsky’s letter dated April 26, 1994:
1) “It is reasonable to suppose that just as intrinsic structures of mind underlie the development of cognitive structures, so a “species character” provides the framework for the growth of moral consciousness, cultural achievement, and even participation in a free and just community human needs and capacities will find their fullest expression in a society of free and creative producers…” (Chomsky: l976:133-34)
SED CONTRA: On the contrary, in case of NON- “free and just community”, what happens to the species character of human being? Or following Foucault, one may ask, “How has the concept of human nature functioned in our society?”
2) “Suppose that the social and material conditions that prevent free intellectual development were relieved….” (Chomsky: l976: 124)
SED CONTRA: What happens to “creativity”, if these social and material conditions that prevent free intellectual development are reigning in its full form by subjugating human nature?
3) “…. there must be continual struggle against authoritarian social forms that impose restrictions beyond those set by ‘the laws of nature’ “(Chomsky: 1976:133).
SED CONTRA: What happens to the victims of authoritarian oppression? What happen to their creativity?