Seminar on “Communalism, Fundamentalism and its expanded territory: Jihad, Intolerance, Conversion”
Organized by Amra ek Sachetan Prayas.
Time: 2pm – 5pm, Date 17.5.16
Venue: Mahabodhi Society Hall, College Street, Kolkata.
1. My watch is right, your watch is wrong: The problems of our own fundamentalism: “fundamental” and “original” knowledge and truth-claims. This attitude leads to violence : annihilation of others.
2. Foreclosure of market fundamentalism and foregrounding of religious fundamentalism.Sponsorship of “dangerous class” through the module of race, language and religion by the market fundamentalist masters of the universe. Deliberate implementation Malthusian theory of positive (?) checks for the sake of primitive accumulation. Bankers’ role in manufacturing conflict.
3. Problems of state secularism (interpreted as sarvadharmasamabhava instead of “not religious, not spiritual). The positives and negatives of sampradaya. The problems of state-sponsored sampradaya- the hybrid space (khaki shorts and saffron flags) and mimicry (Hindu as mirror image of organized religion)
4. Jihad as manufactured tool vis a vis jihad as counter-hegemony: Visions of Simone Machard.
5. Is/are there any outside(s)? My journey: negating religion and purana with the help of darsana. The theory of alternity or vaikalpikata. Praxis of asvikritigrahana (accepting a legitimate possibility) and svikritigrahana (committing oneself to supposed truth-room). Proposing anekantavada as a method without imperatives.